Skip to main content

10 things I love about summer

Summer is a lovely time of year, you have the long days and with a little luck longer, warmer days and sunshine. Why wouldn't one love summer then!? I was contemplating how much I enjoy this season and how busy the days seem to be, of course the British summer isn't as sunny but there are days when it's warm enough and it doesn't rain. Therefore, here are my 10 reasons for loving summer:

1. The feeling of freedom it gives. I know will fade with time because school will end and when you work you don't have 3 months of summer vacation but for now it feels so good to know you have such a lengthy amount of time off every year.

2. The repeating cycle of big changes preceeded by it, every 4 years I start a new chapter in my book, passing from one school to another, from one city to a new one, so I anxiously wait for these rare and random summers.

3. The wonderful hot weather perfect for all those trips and relaxing walks, though it isn't true for all the places I spent my summers in, it applied to most of them.

4. Sightseeing, usually in cities that I love or never seen before, because what better time than now when you don't have busy schedules and exams to worry about.

5. Spending time doing nothing, basking in the sun, taking my dogs for a walk, swimming in the river, or just sitting in the shade of a tree reading.

6. The vegetables, fruits and other crops that are harvested during these time. I love making wine, jam, eating  all those fruits that are so ripe and delicious in summer, especially strawberries and watermellons.
7. The icecream and ice cold tea, that make the 45 C heat bearable.

8. Going out and seeing old friends that are home for the holidays, catching up and planning our next reunion. This is what I love most about summer I believe, the fact that everyone comes back to their hometown for a while no matter how far away they live now.

9. The amazing festivals and various concerts, that happen all over Europe, from theatre to film to music to art, there is one for everyone and every taste.

10. The rain, the thunderstorms that go as fast  as they came, the feeling of cold drops of rain on my hot skin, and the spectacular rainbows that follow after the sky is clear of the clouds. It feels so refreshing that after a long day of heat and dry air, the rain comes and washes it all away, leaving a cool breeze after it is gone.

Although I love summer, winter is my favourite season as it is followed by spring. I like the immaculate blanket of snow and the sparkly diamonds that dazzle you and that will make room for the snowdrops and patches of grass once spring arrives. If I think about it, every season is special in its own way and for one reason or another I enjoy each one.

Summer by Alexandra Radu

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of my Zambian adventure- Naenda Muzungu (The White is Leaving!)

I know I have kept quiet for a long time but it dawned on me that I only have this little left to enjoy Zambia and my friends, students, work, fun and just live my life here. Also, I had my heart break, tear itself into two, leaving a part in Lusaka. The past couple of weeks have been more than interesting and I can say that I had an amazing time, I visited the Eastern Province, and stayed there between Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Zambia, admiring the confluence of the Zambezi and Lwangwa, from our lodge on top of a mountaneous plateau. It was breathtaking and I hope I will build my retirement home there, I also plan to move back to Zambia, hopefully in two years, but we will have to wait and see. I was lucky enough to have the two men I love in Zambia drive me to the airport and that was the best leaving present I could have ever asked for. I will miss everything about my life in Zambia, both the good and the bad, the friendly and the inhumane, the poverty and the richness, the hon

Where are you, now in 2022?

Well, this time it took me less than 2 years to return, actually, just a bit over 1 if we're counting! This new year has found me in a new year of my life too, almost at the 30 mark, so I thought it's about time to sit down and write down what's been happening and where we are in this new year, 2022. Now the good news is that the pandemic restrictions are starting to lift across the world, the even better news is that I'm typing this from my newly setup office by our lovely Dave, in the newly acquired house I purchased in June 2021, who knew that it will all work out after writing that last post in May of last year. The list of achievements doesn't stop there though, indeed, the MSc has been completed with a distinction, unfortunately, no graduation yet, but guess what, I just got an email today that it might happen in July 2022, yes, apparently it's never too late to wear a silly gown and shake hands (although after the pandemic not sure how much handshaking wi